Time can be a small business owner’s worst nightmare. There are only so many hours in a day, and every successful business reaches a tipping point when a single person can no longer keep up with the demands of a growing business alone. While that sounds like a great problem to have (and it is), it can also be a stressful endeavor for a business owner.
The question inevitably will enter your mind at some point: Should I hire skilled online professionals to help me grow my business?
It is a big decision, and as a business owner, you may be wary of spending money to hire help, especially if you are at an early stage in your business.
Allow me to weigh in.
How great was it to start your own business? I remember the thrill and exhilaration that came with launching my own business, finding my first paying client and receiving my first paycheck as my own boss. I had escaped the 9-5, and I loved every minute of working to start and launch my business.
I also remember the heartache that came from working long hours and trying to figure out how to grow and scale my business on my own. I remember wondering why I had left a full time gig to work double the hours at home. Luckily, I made the decision early on to hire skilled online professionals to help me grow my business. In fact, I hired online workers before my business was even making a profit.
And I’m so glad I did. Hiring help enabled me to do so much more than I was able to do alone, and it saved me from burnout.
If you are a small business owner or entrepreneur who is struggling to balance everything on your plate, you too have reached a decision point. As I see it, you have three choices if you want to continue to grow your business.
1. Increase your Working Hours – We all go through this. We work around the clock if we need to. Late nights and early mornings become the standard. How long can you keep up that crazy pace? Working long hours is a temporary solution at best. Inevitably, you will run out of hours in the day and become overwhelmed. And after all … you didn’t start your own business to become a slave, right?
2. Increase your Rates – If you have become limited by time, you can choose to increase your rates or the cost of your product. While you may lose some of your clients or customers, increased earnings is one way that you can keep your current income without working more hours. This solution may also work temporarily; however, at some point you will reach a maximum price that your customers are willing to pay. The growth of your business will quickly become limited.
3. Expand to Hire Skilled Online Professionals – Once you realize that a one-person production is not a scalable business model, you may choose to hire workers to help you. By doing so, you can take on more projects and focus your efforts where they belong – the growth of your company. This solution is the route I took in my own business, and I encourage you to consider it as well. With even a small number of workers, your business will be able to grow without you becoming a slave.
Sharing the responsibility for your business is a scary adventure. Placing trust and delegating important tasks to others is difficult, but it is ultimately necessary if you want to grow. If you are anything like me, you may even wonder how anyone can do stuff as well as you can. However, if you take the appropriate steps and intentionally hire skilled online professionals, it doesn’t have to be so scary. In fact, hiring help is an exciting part of the process. And you’ll likely find a group of workers that will feel almost like family.
Here are a few reasons you should hire skilled online professionals to help you grow your business.
1. Some of the best talent is available online. You can find skilled professionals that are set up and highly qualified at just about everything you’d ever need. More and more professionals are choosing to work online and offer their services to businesses just like yours.
2. Online hiring platforms take the risk out of the equation. There are many platforms, such as FreeeUp, that filter through online works and hire only the top talent. They verify past experience and qualifications, and they offer different guarantees to ensure that you are happy with your results.
3. Your time is valuable. As a business owner, you shouldn’t be worrying about the day-to-day activities and tasks of your business. Instead, you should be focusing on the tasks that directly contribute to the strategic growth of your company. Delegate everything and hire skilled online professionals so that you can focus your time where it is needed most.
When I chose to hire a few virtual assistants for my own business, I was able to see the payback almost instantly. With my time freed up to spend on the critical parts of the business, I was able to take my company to the next level. The pieces of my business that I didn’t enjoy (and honestly wasn’t that good at) were all running seamlessly on autopilot within a week. Hiring skilled workers online to help me grow my business was the single best decision I could make as a new entrepreneur.
If you are still feeling a bit queasy at the thought of giving up control of the detailed workings of your business, consider the following tips when you first choose to hire skilled online professionals.
1. Do your homework. Thoroughly check each worker’s portfolio before choosing to bring them on board. Read testimonials and reviews from previous customers. Check references. Not only will you feel more comfortable, you will ensure that your existing and future customers will continue to receive quality work. You can also choose to hire individuals through a reputable online hiring marketplace such as FreeUp where the workers are pre-screened and zero turnover is guaranteed. By doing so, you remove a lot of the risk.
2. Ask them the Essential Interview Questions. Ensure that all workers you hire are similar minded and will be able to represent your business’s values and brands. By hiring online workers who share similar qualities and values, your customers will never notice a difference or experience a disruption as your business expands. The workers will be happier, too, if they share similar goals and values as well, which will reduce turnover and headache on your part.
3. Onboard new workers. Spend the time required to thoroughly onboard your new workers. The time invested will be well worth it as workers will have all of the knowledge and skills to perform the tasks just as you did. While you should aim to hire workers with the required skills, you will always have preferences and systems that each new worker will need to be set up. Don’t skip this vital step, no matter how qualified the worker may be.
4. Start small. Start a new worker relationship small by giving a new worker a low priority project. This will allow you to verify the performance and quality that you desire in your business before handing over a significant project. If you try to hand over too much too soon, you may overwhelm the new worker or find out the hard way that they are under qualified. Start small and gradually build up the workload and significance of projects given.
5. Monitor new workers frequently and maintain an open line of communication. Always let online workers know when you are happy or displeased with their work. Feedback and communication is essential to grow the relationship. Remember to ask for feedback as well. A good group requires feedback both ways. Being a boss takes time and adjustment too, so always be open for feedback and willing to adjust and learn.
It is natural to be nervous when hiring online for the first time, but if you follow the right steps, your business will be running smoothly in no time.
With a growing business set up, you will be able to increase your revenue and scale your company without spending all of your time on every single detail. As a business owner, increased income and freedom is what we all strive for. No longer will you have to work long hours in an attempt to get everything done. You can sit back, relax and watch your business grow. If you hire thoughtfully and delegate parts of your business to highly skilled individuals, this can become your reality.
Take the precautions outlined in this article so the idea of hiring help doesn’t become scary or overwhelming. You’ll avoid all of the bad experiences by taking advantage of lessons learned from others who have paved the way before you. Follow these tips and watch your business flourish without sacrificing your personal life or health!
Melissa Ricker is a nuclear engineer and a professional freelance writer specializing in career growth, technical writing and online entrepreneurship. She writes a blog, Engineered Motherhood, for working mothers who need help balancing career growth and time management.
Melissa Ricker is a nuclear engineer turned integrative wellness and life coach and a professional freelance writer specializing in career growth, technical writing and online entrepreneurship. She runs her own business, Engineered Motherhood, for moms who have become overwhelmed in the chaos and stress of motherhood so much that they have lost their identity as women. She helps them redefine their lives, rediscover their purpose and streamline their days so that they can live as fulfilled and vibrant women as well as amazing mamas! Oh, and she both works as a freelancer as well as hires freelancers in her business!
No minimums. Fast access to top US and international talent. Rated 5 stars on TrustPilot.Get Started